President Donald Trump took another setback Friday in his aim to ban travel from predominantly Muslim countries to the United States. A U.S. judge has temporarily blocked the executive order.
Washington (the state) and Minnesota urged a nationwide hold on the executive order, and U.S. District Judge James Robart sided with the states. Government lawyers had claimed the states did not have the standing to challenge Trump’s order.
“The state has met its burden in demonstrating immediate and irreparable injury,” Robart said in Seattle.
Trump’s order was immediately met with outrage last week, as protests erupted at airports nationwide.
Trump says the motion will protect the people of the United States, while many feel it infringes upon basic American principles.
Washington state sued, as Attorney General Bob Ferguson said the order mandated discrimination and caused harm to residents. Minnesota later joined the suit, which says major pieces of Trump’s executive order are unconstitutional and illegal.
“Washington has a profound interest in protecting its residents from the harms caused by the irrational discrimination embodied in the order,” Ferguson said in a brief.
The states won a temporary restraining order. This is the first nationwide injunction for the case, which may be headed to the Supreme Court.
“It’s our president’s duty to honor this ruling and I’ll make sure he does,” Ferguson after the ruling. “No one is above the law, not even the president.”
You can see video of the post-announcement news conference here.
Unsurprisingly, the Department of Justice was not happy about the decision.
source: complex.com BY AARON MANSFIELD