The more you dine out, the more you’re getting exposed to potentially hazardous chemicals known as phthalates, suggests a new study published Wednesday in the journal Environment International. Continue reading Many Restaurant Meals Come With a Side of Hormone-Disrupting Phthalates
MY FIRST RESTAURANT, Momofuku Noodle Bar, had an open kitchen. This wasn’t by choice—I didn’t have enough money or space to put it farther away from the diners. But cooking in front of my customers changed the way I look at food. In the early years, around 2004, we were improvising new recipes every day, and I could instantly tell what was working and what wasn’t by watching people eat. A great dish hits you like a Whip-It: There’s momentary elation, a brief ripple of pure pleasure in the spacetime continuum. That’s what I was chasing, that split second when someone tastes something so delicious that their conversation suddenly derails and they blurt out something guttural like they stubbed their toe.
Chipotle announced it will be closing up shop nationwide for a few hours as part of its attempt to halt its ongoing E. Coli outbreak. But why hasn’t the company been able to stop the outbreak, or even find the source yet? The answer isn’t in the restaurant chain—it’s in the bacteria.
Chipotle enthusiasts in the Washington and Oregon area may have to wait a minute to get their fix. Time reports that the beloved chain has temporarily closed 43 stores in the wake of an E.coli outbreak that left eight people hospitalized.
Here’s how one of the best restaurants in the world, Eleven Madison Park, opens a bottle of wine when the wine is especially old and the cork is possibly all crumbly: they use burning hot metal tongs to heat up bottle so it can be ‘magically’ opened from the neck, avoiding the cork.